Monday, April 16, 2012

BlackMolly: Into the Belly of a Whale


I had my usual yuppy coffee, a sugar-free vanilla breve with two shots of espresso, the other day with my parents, an aunt and uncle, a handful of cousins and my daughter, Molly. Molly's tounge flapped as fast as it could at every customer coming into or going out of the cofee house while they made comments like, "What a cutie," and "Awe, it's waving at us. Look at that. Isn't it cute?" My daughter is a toy poodle and full of energy. She loves people and she loves the attention even more.

In a way, I don't mind the comments. However, I must confess that, in my head, I compare how those same people react to my one year old niece. They stop and ask what her name is, how old she is and if she's walking or not. "Oh, what pretty blue eyes. She's going to be a heart-breaker when she gets older." They never talk about her like she's an "it." How hard can it be to ask me the name of my daughter?
The general population of adult humans simply can't, or won't, consider Molly a daughter. I wonder why Gippetto didn't have the same kinds of problems when Pinnochio had ears and a tail. Then again, Gippetto had to go into the belly of a whale and Pinnochio after him before Pinnochio became a "real boy." It would be worth it for Molly to be considered a "real daughter."

Most of the inconsideration I encounter doesn't come from the strangers who say something inaudible under their breath as Molly and I pass by, but from a work level - Companies. My current employer doesn't allow paid time off to take care of my daughter, even though they will for co-workers with human daughters ("real daughters"). There's no option to add Molly to my health policy, though that would be a really nice benefit for those of us who chose not to have human children. In fact, I'd gladly swap my own health insurance so Molly could have it.

Fortunately, I'm one of the luckier people I know because despite the fact that I can't take time off from work to attend to Molly's needs (paid as a sick day or two for having a sick child at home that needed me), I do have a terrific boss and human resources manager that help me when things come up where Molly is concerned. In fact, they figured out a way to allow Molly to come to work with me when I thought she had cancer. We actually moved my whole office to the front so Molly could sit with me while I worked! Those two people are some of the rarest around and I thank them often for their understanding and consideration. Molly was a model work guest and I got the required work done in addition to spending (what I thought at the time) her last days with her. It's always tough when someone is misdiagnosed. I'm just glad the initial diagnosis was wrong.

I suspect that it's only a matter of time before employers start offering benefits like dog health insurance to their staff. Some of the high tech industry companies allow canine children to come to work, as a way to lure those with technology experience to join their staff, right now. They offer groomers' services and on-site parks. Those companies are reaping the benefits of a more loyal, dedicated staff.

It's also been shown, scientifically, that the more exercise a person gets, the more productive they are on the job. What better way to make people more active than to add someone to their life who demands attention and exercise? Animals help lower blood preassure, reduce stress, contribute to better sleep at night, as well as help keep healthy people healthy. Doctors are now inviting dogs to hospitals in an effort to help sick people get healthy, too. Why on earth aren't companies inviting animal-children in more often?
Traditionalists, of course, have a hard time swallowing some of the more relaxed settings offered out in the job market. Being part of that high tech industry, working on the database side of things, I find that I'm looking (not actively, but definately looking) to go to work for one of those companies. I have to say that, once I'm there, it will be terribly difficult to entice me to go anywhere else until I go to work for myself at home.

Human children live longer than their parents, generally speaking. I know that I will more than likely outlive my own daughter and the knowledge nearly brings tears every time I think about it. I can only resolve to spend every moment I can with Molly and continue my search for a workplace that will accommodate our need to be together.

Anyone need an Oracle8 and 8i Database Admin who will be loyal and productive? Benefits should include a steady flow of classes so I can stay on the edge, a health insurance plan for Molly, and an open invitation extended to my "real daughter" to come to work with me every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment